City of Discoveries
The city where Rembrandt first saw the light of day still breathes the atmosphere of the Golden Age. What’s more, no other city in the Netherlands has so many fantastic museums within walking distance of each other. Leiden, key of discoveries!
• Museum De Lakenhal: explore the culture of the city of Leiden from the 16th century to date, including masterpieces by Lucas van Leyden, Rembrandt, Jan Steen and many others.
• Hortus Botanicus Leiden: take a stroll through a historical botanical garden with plants from all corners of the world.
• Naturalis Biodiversity Center: visit the temporary exhibition starring Tyrannosaurus rex Trix!
• Corpus Experience: take a journey through the human body.
• Museum Boerhaave: an exploration of five centuries of history of science and medicine, including the microscope developed by Antoni van Leeuwenhoek and the oldest pendulum clock built by Christiaan Huygens.
• Dutch National Museum of Antiquities: discover numerous treasures from the rich, historical cultures of the ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans.
• Museum Volkenkunde: take a trip around the world. Admire old art treasures of the Incas, Aztecs, Chinese and Africans.
Out and about
With its historic city centre, Leiden is one big heritage site. Everything is within walking distance and there are lots of great places to eat situated in stunning historic buildings. Fancy a night at the theatre or a concert? Visit the oldest theatre in the Netherlands, Leidse Schouwburg.
Leiden has a bustling shopping centre in an atmospheric setting. Every Saturday, a market is held in the city centre. With so much to offer, Leiden is well worth exploring!